March 15, 2009

Merlot Taste Test

So the other night Anthony brought home a couple of Merlot's and made me play 'Pick the Chef's pick'. His wine rep had dropped off these two wines and Anthony was picking one to put on the menu. I was to guess which one.

The first one is a Washington Hills Merlot 2007. I think this wine is not a true Merlot, but rather 76% Merlot and the rest Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc grapes. This combination makes for a very smooth, almost light-bodied red, with very little bite or spice. Anthony thought it was interesting because it had the legs of a medium-bodied wine but feels like a light-bodied when you get in in your mouth. I would call it the Merlot for people who don't necessarily like Merlot. Very drinkable. When I saw that it was a screw-top bottle I suggested that this may be the one he didn't pick, to which he said 'oh, I don't care about that'. Sigh. On to the other wine.

The second wine is Lockwood Vineyards 2005 Merlot. This one is a true Merlot and it is amazing how different it is from the first one. As opposed to the other wine, this Merlot seems to be lighter-bodied in the glass but more fulfilling in the mouth. It definitely presents the characteristic spice that you look for in a Merlot and bouquet smells wonderful and complex. The interesting thing about this winery is that they say they grow their own grapes and only use those grapes to create their wines. This is, of course, the wine he chose to put on the menu. He says it will go really well with the lamb on his menu.
He also gave me his copy of 'Great Wine Made Simple' by Andrea Immer which I have begun reading. Look forward to more educated and informative posts in the future! Haha.

No comments: