March 11, 2009

Mas Carlot Marsanne-Roussanne Cuvee Tradition 2003

This is a white wine that Anthony got along with a box of 2005 vintage. It is bottled in a 'red' wine bottle and has a nice yellow straw color. It is 60% marsanne and 40% roussanne French grapes, a common pairing. I spent some time just trying to smell the bouquet of the wine as I didn't really think it showed up very much - Anthony said 'of course it does'. :) It has a smooth minerally but not too acidic flavor. Anthony thinks of wet grass and maybe peach or honey. I am still in search of a white that would bring me back to whites and this one doesn't do that, though it is passable. It apparently retails for around $34, although it looks like it's a difficult wine to get a hold of.
On a side note, Anthony very helpfully pointed out that if I inhale at the same time that I am taking a sip of the wine, I can get a different, perhaps more complete taste of the bouquet. When I tried this, I found that the wine tasted completely different - much smoother. Anyway, I thought that was interesting. Basic, I know, but I'm interested and excited to try new things. :)

No comments: